ZIP is an archive format that provides data compression without data loss, and these programs can also encrypt files or folders. A ZIP file can contain compressed files, folders, images, videos and other types of compressed data. ZIP programs can help you save server storage space and reduce the time it takes to download to your computer
The following is a selection of top ZIP file compression software, and its popular functions and website links. This list includes open source (free) and commercial (paid) software. We compare the functions of this encryption software and the results are as follows:
Compression Rate: Data compression ratio, also known as compression power, is a measurement of the relative reduction in size of data representation produced by a data compression algorithm. It is typically expressed as the division of uncompressed size by compressed size. The smaller the value, the higher the compression effect.
Encryption Algorithm: The Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) is a symmetric block cipher chosen by the U.S. government to protect classified information. AES is implemented in software and hardware throughout the world to encrypt sensitive data. It is essential for government computer security, cybersecurity and electronic data protection.
Safe Deletion: Make sure that files cannot be recovered after deletion.
File Protection: The file cannot be deleted without authorization.
Monitor: Once the files in the folder are modified or deleted, the details can be viewed in the monitoring log.
Lock File: Once the file is locked, the contents of the file cannot be changed.
7ZIP is a free-to-use file compression software that can be used as a file archiver with a high compression rate. This is an open-source program, most of its code is obtained under the GNU LGPL license. The software supports multiple formats, and the program uses strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats. Other features include a powerful file manager.
1. Select the file or folder that needs to be encrypted, right-click, and a pop-up menu will appear, and select 7-ZIP->Add to archive.
2. Select the path to save the file, enter the encryption password, and click OK.
3. To decrypt the file, just double-click the file with the left button, enter the decryption password, and click OK.
How to Use Password Protect on WinZip (Ver 24.0)
WinZip is a powerful compression utility developed by Nico Mak Computing, WinZip is a powerful compression utility that supports ZIP, CAB, TAR, GZIP, MIME, and many other formats. A WinZip software program window will quickly open this ZIP file. The version of WinZip uses 128-bit and 256-bit AES advanced encryption algorithms that allow files to be encrypted to a military level.
1. Open WinZip and Drag the file to be encrypted into the dialog box. Click the Tools menu, and then click the Encrypt button.
2. After filling in the password, click OK.
3. Click on the menu File and select Save As (to PC/Cloud).
4. Select the location where the encrypted file needs to be saved and the name of the saved file. Click Save.
5. To decrypt the file, just double-click the file to be decrypted, and a dialog box will pop up. Follow the prompts to unzip the file path.
6. Fill in the correct password and click OK. The file is decrypted successfully.
How to Use Password Protect on PeaZip
PeaZip is an easy-to-use compression and decompression freeware that allows you to browse through files and folders to compress and create the desired archive with just a few easy clicks. In addition, you can add files to existing archives, password-protect compressed files, use the TAR method before compressing them, and send output via email. The compression speed is customizable, as is the output size, which is very convenient.
1. Open the software interface, find the Add button in the upper left corner of the interface, and then click it to create a new compression task.
2. Drag the file you want to encrypt into the file list. Select the output path of the compressed file. And then click the Enter Password button.
3. Enter your password and click OK.
At this point, we return to the interface for creating compression tasks. We only need to click the OK button in the lower right corner of the interface to start compressing files.
4. To decrypt, simply double-click on the ZIP file. Double click on the file you need to decrypt with the left mouse button.
5. Enter the correct password and click the OK button. Decryption is complete.
How to Use Password Protect on WinRAR
WinRAR is a popular and powerful compression tool. It supports mouse drag and drop and shell extensions. The built-in program can unscramble many types of archives, mirrors and TAR combinations such as CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, Z and 7Z. The free version will pop up ads frequently.
1. Open WinRAR and Drag the file to be encrypted into the dialog box.
2. Click on the Commands menu option, then select Add files to archive, or use the Alt+A shortcut.
3. After selecting the encrypted file storage path, click the Set password button.
4. Fill in the password for the encrypted file, and click OK. At this point, the software returns to the interface of creating the task, and then continue to click the OK button, the encrypted file is finished.
5. Double-click on the file you need to decrypt and the WinRAR menu will pop up.
6. Double-click on the file you need to decrypt. Enter the password and click OK, the file is decrypted successfully.